Water, Sewer, & Trash Service in Springfield
The City of Springfield provides water and sanitary sewer services to its residents, but our services reach beyond the city limits as well. (Click here to view the City of Springfield Boundary.) You may have access to city water and sewer service even if you are not located within the city. Those residents within the City Limits are also provided with curbside trash and recycling pickup.
Applying for Services
You can apply for new service by completing the Service Application and returning it to City Hall during business hours or email your application to email@example.com. A copy of your driver’s license will be required, and a deposit will be due. Renters must provide a copy of their signed lease/rental agreement. Service will not be connected if these items are not provided.
cost to you
Fees & Billing
- Water and Sewer Rates are set by Ordinance and approved by City Council. The Rates for those inside the city limits may vary from those located outside the city. Rates will also vary based on the amount of water used, or if the user is commercial or residential. Rates will be listed in the current City of Springfield Fee Schedule.
- Water/Sewer bills are due by the 10th of each month. If not paid by this date a 10% penalty will be assessed. Accounts 2 months in arrears are subject to be disconnected without notice and the total account balance plus a $50 administrative fee will be required to be paid in full before services can be reconnected.
- Water and Sewer service are billed as separate items. Water use is regulated and tracked by your water meter and sewer fees are based on your water usage.
- The city is not responsible for excess water usage caused by a leak in your home or on your property.
Garbage & Recycle Collection
- Curbside trash pick up service is available for customers within the city limits of Springfield. This service is included on your monthly water and sewer bill. View the city limits map here to check if you are in the city limits.
- You will receive one trash cart and one recycle cart. Trash carts are to be placed at the side or rear of the house when not out for pick up. Trash carts should not be left on the curb on non-pick up days.
- Trash pick up days are Thursdays or Fridays depending on your address. View the street list here.
- Recycle pick up days are every other Friday. Click here to view the recycle schedule.
- Springfield also offers yard trash pick up on the second and fourth Tuesday’s of the month. You must call city hall to schedule a pick up before these days. View the schedule on our calendar here.
- To view the complete list of sanitation disposal procedures and forms, click here.
Tips for Users
These are just a few tips that can help you conserve water and reduce your cost on your next water bill. The City of Springfield strives to conserve water and encourages citizens to report any issues.
- Check for toilet leaks by adding food color to the tank. If the toilet is leaking color will appear in the bowl within 30 minutes
- Consider purchasing LowFlow toilets that can reduce indoor water use by 20%
- Replace your showerhead with an ultralow-flow version, saving up to 2.5 gallons per minute.
- Do not use running water to thaw meat or other frozen foods. Defrost them overnight in the refrigerator.
- Full load automatic dishwashers; they use the same amount of water no matter how much is in the dishwasher.
- Don’t over-water your lawn. As general rule, lawns only need watering every 5-7 days in the summer
- Water Lawns during early morning hours when temperatures and wind speed are the lowest. This reduces losses from evaporation.
- Do not leave sprinklers or hoses unattended. Your garden hose can pour out 600 gallons or more in only a few hours.
Other Water Wasters in Your Home
- Unlike your dishwater, the amount of water your washing machine uses is adjustable; adjust according to the load size.
- Never put water down the drain when there may be another use for it such as watering a plant or garden, or cleaning.
- Verify that your home is leak free, because many homes have hidden water leaks.
Are rates different outside the City Limits?
Are there fees for re-connection if my water has been turned off?
Contact City Hall at (912) 754-7617
Office hours are Monday to Friday from 8:00am to 4:30pm